TalkingPoints (talkingpts.org) is an award-winning education technology non-profit organization with the mission to unlock the potential of low-income, underserved families to support their children’s learning by partnering with their children’s schools. Returning to back-to-school has made our mission ever more urgent and important. We're building a one-of-a-kind product in the market, a multilingual family engagement platform that connects families and teachers using human and artificial intelligence powered, two-way translated messages and personalized supports — eliminating language, time limitations, and know-how as barriers to school/family connection.
Millions of teachers and families are using TalkingPoints in their classrooms and schools and districts across the U.S. TalkingPoints works with key school district partners such as Oakland Unified, Wake County and NYC DOE. We have won awards from NYU, MIT, Google.org, Ashoka, Forbes and are backed by Google.org, AT&T, Carnegie Corporation, Schmidt Futures, Stanford University and NewSchools Venture Fund, to name a few. Most recently we were named an evidence-based learning platform to support by MIT's J-Pal, and our research partners include University of Chicago and MIT. Learn more
Diversity: we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it!
We are looking to add an organized, experienced Accounting and Administration Associate as a fundamental member of the Finance and Administration team, so TalkingPoints can continue to scale effectively and expand our impact. The Accounting and Administration Associate will report to and work closely with the Senior Finance Manager and be responsible for various general administrative tasks and all day-to-day bookkeeping tasks, such as:
- Perform payroll functions in an accurate and timely manner, and submit payroll taxes.
- Conduct reconciliation of all accounts on an as needed basis.
- Maintain and balance the general ledger in an accurate, complete, and up-to-date manner.
- Perform all activities related to the accounts payable function including reviewing, coding, and processing payments.
- Work closely with the Finance, HR, and Translation teams to facilitate an efficient Translator payment process.
- Perform account receivable functions including vendor registration, invoicing, deposits, collections, and revenue recognition.
- Prepare financial reports through collection, analysis, and summarization of data
- Interpret and apply accounting policies, rules, and regulations to all work in order to ensure compliance with applicable standards.
- Support TalkingPoints teammates with operational and administrative tasks, such as managing the organization's mailbox and lockbox, assisting with the administration of Data Privacy Agreements, as assigned to keep the team running smoothly.
Who you are
- You have 3-5 years relevant experience working in accounting, finance, and bookkeeping, preferably at nonprofits and/or SaaS organizations
- You take initiative to improve the team, propose improvements and are constantly thinking how we can operate better
- You have a thorough knowledge and understanding of GAAP
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; able to design and create reports to help answer questions and steer decision-making
- Proficient skills in QuickBooks and Microsoft Excel, and are comfortable learning new technology
- Experience with accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and general ledger, including related tools such as Bill.com and Expensify
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
Overall fit with our org culture - we look for team members who are:
- User and mission-oriented: we are devoted to our mission with empathy towards the communities we serve.
- All-in together: we go above and beyond the job description, working together as a team.
- Agile & action-oriented: we get things done, knowing that our progress is urgent to our communities.
- Always Learning: we are always learning, with a growth mindset, to reach our full potential.
- Boldly Courageous: we take risks in order to achieve big things.
- Resourceful: We are creative, solution-oriented, and scrappy.
What we offer
- An incredible opportunity to build a mission-driven, rapidly growing startup tech nonprofit
- Competitive salary, full coverage health insurance, benefits, and unlimited vacation
- Flexibility to work remotely
- 401K match
- Fun, smart, dynamic, motivated team focused on working together to transform family engagement to serve the families who need it most
How to apply
Please submit your resume, a brief paragraph describing your interest, and a link to your LinkedIn profile.