TalkingPoints is an award-winning education technology non-profit organization with the mission to unlock the potential of low-income, underserved families to support their children’s learning by partnering with their children’s schools. COVID-19 remote learning environment has made our mission ever more urgent and important. We’re building a one-of-a-kind product in the market, a multilingual family engagement platform that connects families and teachers using human and artificial intelligence powered, two-way translated messages and personalized supports — eliminating language, time limitations, and know-how as barriers to school/family connection.
Millions of teachers and families are using TalkingPoints in their classrooms, schools and districts across the U.S. TalkingPoints works with key school district partners such as Oakland Unified, Seattle Public Schools, Boston Public Schools, Buffalo Public School, Wake County and NYC DOE. We have won awards from NYU, MIT, Google, Forbes and are backed by Google, Eric Schmidt, AT&T, Cisco, and Stanford University to name a few.
We're at a critical inflection point in the organization's growth, our user base has grown exponentially in the past year while our team doubled and will double again over the next year. It's an important time to join our team and build on our momentum and ability to support students and families during this critical time in which education equity gaps are more concerning than ever. Learn more.
Diversity: we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it!
Be our first data team leader, managing our data science, analytics, and data engineering teams and roadmap. This is a player/coach role that includes:
- Developing, managing and executing on the TalkingPoints data roadmap which includes data infrastructure, data science, and product and impact analytics.
- Managing a growing data team that supports data science, data analytics, and data engineering, driving focus and execution for that team, as well as supporting the ways in which they interface with every other team in the organization.
- Drive investment in our data infrastructure to allow TalkingPoints to more reliably and rapidly produce insights.
- Drive the strategy and cross-functional thinking in how our data roadmap supports optimal progress and impact for our organization. This includes identifying as of yet unknown areas of data investment that could positively impact our business and users, and collaborating with all areas of our organization to be opportunistic in how data can provide competitive advantage to TalkingPoints.
Who you are
- You are an experienced data leader with experience in analytics and experimentation, data engineering, and machine learning/prediction who knows how to effectively and strategically support data needs throughout an organization.
- You combine business insight, technical acumen, and human understanding to drive an immaculately prioritized data roadmap.
- You have experience managing, mentoring and developing a team of data scientists, analysts, and data engineers and strategically managing and growing our data infrastructure to support of our progress.
- You have worked in a high growth, consumer or SaaS company and seen what it takes to build a high performing data org.
- You seek impact that accelerates our business and our mission, and you have a demonstrated ability to create real value from analysis.
- You are proficient in modern data stacks, tools, languages, including SQL, Tableau, Python, R, etc.; you know how to navigate and build upon the existing foundation.
- Management of multi-disciplinary data roles: data engineering, data analysis, data science
- Strong track record guiding data architecture, data pipelines, data quality
- Managing data strategy/data roadmap for growing organization
- Experience working with education data
- Experience with SQL, Python, and non-relational databases
- Experience creating KPIs and overall evaluation criterion & monitoring/tracking successfully
Nice to haves:
- Experience working with digital platforms/tools (e.g., not just bricks and mortar, e-commerce, etc.)
- AI/NLP (Natural language processing) expertise
Overall fit with our org culture - we look for team members who are
- User and mission-oriented: we are devoted to our mission with empathy towards the communities we serve.
- All-in together: we go above and beyond the job description, working together as a team.
- Agile & action-oriented: we get things done, knowing that our progress is urgent to our communities.
- Always Learning: we are always learning, with a growth mindset, to reach our full potential.
- Boldly Courageous: we take risks in order to achieve big things.
- Resourceful: We are creative, solution-oriented, and scrappy.
What we offer
- An incredible opportunity to build a mission-driven, rapidly growing startup tech nonprofit
- Competitive salary, full coverage health insurance, benefits, and unlimited time off
- 401K match
- Annual professional development benefit
- Flexibility to work remotely
- Fun, smart, dynamic, motivated team focused on working together to transform family engagement to serve the families who need it most
How to apply
Please submit your resume, a brief paragraph describing your interest, and a link to your LinkedIn profile