TalkingPoints is an award-winning education technology non-profit organization with the mission to unlock the potential of low-income, underserved families to support their children’s learning by partnering with their children’s schools. We are building a one-of-a-kind product in the market, a multilingual family engagement platform that connects families and teachers using human and artificial intelligence powered, two-way translated messages and personalized supports — eliminating language, time limitations, and know-how as barriers to school/family connection.
Millions of teachers and families are using TalkingPoints in their classrooms, schools and districts across the United States. TalkingPoints works with key school district partners such as Oakland Unified, Seattle Public Schools, Boston Public Schools, Buffalo Public School, Wake County and NYC DOE. We have won awards from NYU, MIT, Google, Forbes and are backed by Google, Eric Schmidt, AT&T, Cisco, and Stanford University to name a few.
TalkingPoints is at a critical inflection point in the organization's growth. We continue to see exponential growth in both our user base and our own internal structure. It's an important time to join our team and build on our momentum and ability to support students and families during this critical time in which education equity gaps are more concerning than ever. Learn more.
Diversity: we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it!
The Administration and Compliance Specialist will play a key role in accelerating TalkingPoints growth and impact by ensuring the organization is set up for success in key states and districts. As a member of the Finance and Administration team, reporting to the Senior Manager of Finance and Administration, the Specialist will expand the organization’s capacity to partner with more schools and districts, by ensuring effective documentation, registration, and annual compliance tasks.
This is an ideal opportunity for a detail-oriented administration expert who has managed a scaling team’s compliance, state and county business registrations and licenses, vendor registrations, and annual non-profit reporting at the state level. You understand the bureaucratic complexities of operating effectively at scale across the U.S. and are undeterred by the unique hurdles each state and locality brings to the table. In this role, you will:
- Establish the ability to pay new employees in states that TalkingPoints has not yet hired in, including account creation with the Department of Labor and unemployment offices
- Establish the ability to conduct business in new states where TalkingPoints is not yet registered with the Department of Revenue and other relevant Secretary of State departments
- Complete new vendor forms for schools and districts interested in partnering with TalkingPoints
- Create and own a compliance calendar with related annual tasks inside of Harbor compliance platform, including establishing new registered agents in key states
- Assist with the completion and filing of annual tax and licensing requirements, with the support of a third party tax expert
- Analyze and complete data privacy documentation utilizing a predetermined risk matrix developed by the organization to facilitate a high volume of paperwork requests
- Coordinate receiving updated certificates of insurance to facilitate sales and adhere to partner requirements
- Assist with sales cycle, including RFPs, by completing necessary forms
- Proactively ensure the organization’s success by maintaining records and leading risk management projects as assigned
Who you are
- You have 3-5 years experience managing compliance, business registrations and licenses, vendor registrations, and annual non-profit reporting at the state level.
- You understand the complexities of scaling an organization in many U.S. states and view the related compliance challenges as an exciting puzzle to be solved.
- You exhibit a high-degree of professionalism and patience in the face of bureaucracy and tight deadlines.
- You understand the need of the communities we serve and strive for effective organization administration to create a larger impact.
- You understand how to read a contract; you can identify standard and non-standard terms and can serve as a point of escalation in the review process.
- You thrive in circumstances that allow you to create new systems and structures where they do not exist.
- You are a meticulous organizer; you over-document and keep flawless records.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with U.S.-based K-12 education systems
- Experience in or empathy with communities we serve (e.g., underserved populations, education, immigration, bilingual and/or multicultural environments)
- National non-profit experience.
- A tax, legal, or compliance background.
- Familiarity with Harbor Compliance platform.
Overall fit with our org culture - we look for team members who are
- User and mission-oriented: we are devoted to our mission with empathy towards the communities we serve.
- All-in together: we go above and beyond the job description, working together as a team.
- Agile & action-oriented: we get things done, knowing that our progress is urgent to our communities.
- Always Learning: we are always learning, with a growth mindset, to reach our full potential.
- Boldly Courageous: we take risks in order to achieve big things.
- Resourceful: We are creative, solution-oriented, and scrappy.
What we offer
- An incredible opportunity to build a mission-driven, rapidly growing startup tech nonprofit
- Competitive salary, full coverage health insurance, benefits, and unlimited time off
- 401K match
- Annual professional development benefit
- Flexibility to work remotely
- Fun, smart, dynamic, and motivated team
How to apply
Please submit your resume, a brief paragraph describing your interest, and a link to your LinkedIn profile.